"True beauty lies on the inside"... while it may sound corny, this platitude is actually very literally true. Our internal health directly affects our external appearance, particularly our skin and hair. A few simple changes to improve your internal health can take years off your appearance and help you lose weight at the same time.
1. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day - and I mean water, not soda, coffee, or even juice. I know, you've heard it before, but people keep saying it for a reason. If you experience joint pain, stomach pain and ulcers, back pain, or low energy, try drinking more water: these are all symptoms of dehydration. Water can also help you lose weight. It has no calories, acts as an appetite suppressant, and can help metabolize your body fat. Studies suggest that you should drink an additional glass of water (above the recommended 8-10) for every 25 pounds over your recommended body weight.
2. Stop drinking coffee. You should try to cut out caffeine completely, but coffee contains additional ingredients that increase you levels of cortisol and insulin, which leads to weight gain. Insulin controls the production of body fat, so the higher your insulin levels, the more fat you will store. Caffeine is a diuretic and will actually cause you to lose necessary water. It can also give you the shakes, lead to anxiety, upset your stomach, and prevent you from getting enough sleep. It may seem impossible to give up your morning cup of coffee, but try replacing it with decaf green tea and you'll be amazed at the improvement in your health and your mood.
3. Stop eating so much sugar. Too much refined sugar makes your insulin levels spike, and insulin, as I said, causes you to store fat. Sugar also attached to collagen (a compound responsible for your skin's elasticity and suppleness), making your skin stiff and saggy. Refined (white) sugar is the worst and you should avoid it at all costs. You can substitute natural sugars like honey and maple syrup, but even these should be used in moderation. You do need some sugar to provide essential fuel to your cells - but get it from fruits and vegetables instead of donuts and candy. Do *not* use artificial sweeteners in place of sugar - they're at least as bad, if not worse.
4. Eat more natural foods. Junk food may taste good, but the results of eating it don't feel good at all. The benefits of replacing processed foods with natural foods are too numerous to list. Instead of salty snacks like chips or pretzels, eat *unsalted* nuts and seeds, or raw vegetables. Instead of sugary desserts eat fresh, whole fruit. Eat whole wheat bread and pasta and brown rice instead of their white siblings. You'll get more fiber, less sugar and saturated fats, and all the vitamins and nutrients you need (just remember to eat a variety of fruits and vegetable to ensure you're getting all your vitamins).
5. Try colon cleansing. Years of poor eating habits can leave your colon in pretty bad shape. The average American's diet is 25% junk food, which is extremely difficult to digest and eliminate. The colon is wonderfully designed to control toxins in the body; however, most people's diets are so poor and so highly laced with toxic matter that the colon's purification process can't keep up: it often becomes sluggish and the toxins begin to build up. Toxicity can manifest itself in several ways, including diarrhea (or alternating constipation and diarrhea), breakouts of acne and other skin disorders, excessive fetid perspiration, and bad breath. A colon cleanser like Almighty Cleanse can help expel impurities and fecal matter that build up on your intestinal walls.*
These simple suggestions can help improve both your short-term and your long-term health. Gradually make these changes in your lifestyle, add some light exercise, and you will be amazed how good you look and feel.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Sharon Holt is a staff writer for Mighty Colon Cleanser, authorized reseller of