Why Vulnerability Management Program is Important?
|By: Orson | Dec 14 2012 | 414 words | 2783 hits|
For reaching out globally for business pursuits, most business organizations depend on an open and accessible internet. The result, cyber attacks and security threats today have increased phenomenally. Businesses can undergo severe losses if a hacker or a third party intruder gets access to a website, privileged account ID, or essential consumer data. Furthermore, with the increase in health care forgeries, health care enterprises need to secure confidential patient data, lest they are misused. The network has made it crucial for enterprises to resolve network vulnerabilities on a regular basis. In case an organization cannot ensure security of critical data from unwarranted security attacks, they may witness penalty from legal authorities.
Therefore, today's organizations need to take adequate steps to enhance their e-Governance and offer data safety, making vulnerability management a pre-requisite.
Advanced vulnerability programs make sure that the existing security concerns within a network, are detected and assessed making use of efficient IT risk and threat management solutions in a cost - efficient manner. Most forward thinking companies have started deploying proactive measures against network vulnerabilities in order to avert revenue losses.
Vulnerability management is defined as a proactive process that helps enterprises to understand certain risk vulnerabilities present in the IT environment and to make sure that the network and other IT assets are not compromised. Other than detecting and eradicating vulnerabilities, an appropriate vulnerability management solution should monitor IT infrastructure weaknesses continuously, detect new gaps, and simultaneously closing the known ones.
Today companies specializing in IT security and compliance programs have come up with advanced vulnerability management solutions offering unique services. Some of them are:
* Asset discovery, asset classification, mapping and asset prioritization based on risk categorization
* Single and centralized repository for every asset and vulnerability - Helps automated compliance related information gathering from technology as well as non technology sources
* Schedule audits - Offers a comprehensive audit trail for every compliance activity through the entire process.
* Remote vulnerability scan - Scans and incorporates compliance data from multiple sources remotely
* Map assets and vulnerabilities to compliance requirements under various regulations - including document management
* Remediation tracking - Helps to detect, prioritize and resolve vulnerability issues
* Dashboards and reports - Offers management dashboards for compliance status with the capacity to drill down across assets, departments, geographies, affected compliance controls, and many more.
It is wise to invest in an efficient vulnerability management solution that can help monitor and manage the ever- increasing security threats and effectively evaluate infrastructure, networks and application environments for appropriate quick remedial measures.
Read more about- threat management solutions
, Vulnerability management, IT security and compliance